Temples in Telangana
Pilgrims cannot afford to miss Telangana in their circuits as the state houses ancient temples across its 10 districts narrating the many facets of ancient kingdoms and rulers who had patronised such places of worship out of sense of duty and commitment to the people.
Here are some of the temples which are most visited due to its historicity and unique evolution.
- Yadagirigutta: The main deity is Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy and located in Nalgonda district.
It is said that Yada Maharshi, son of Rushyashrunga Maharshi, with the blessings of Lord Anjaneya had performed great penance for Lord Narasimha Swamy. After giving darshan to his devotee, Lord Narasimha had come into existence in five avatars -- Jwala Narasimha, Yogananda Narasimha, Ugra Narasimha, Gandaberunda Narasimha and Lakshmi Narasimha. Hence, Yadagirigutta is also known as "ancha Narasimha Kshetram".
- Bhadrachalam temple is a Lord Seetha Ramachandra Swamy temple at Bhadrachalam in Khammam district.
- Vemulawada: Notable for the Sri Raja Rajeshwara Swamy temple complex, a site of pilgrimage for both Hindus and Muslims.
Built by Chalukya kings between 750 and 975 CE, the complex is named after its presiding deity, an incarnation of Lord Shiva. It houses several temples dedicated to other deities including Lord Rama, brother Lakshmana, Goddess Lakshmi, Lord Ganapathy, Lord Padmanabha Swamy and Lord Bhimeshwara.
complex also contains a 400-year-old mosque and it is located in Karimnagar district.
- Kaleshwaram: This temple is located in Kaleshwaram, a remote village in Mahadevpur Mandal in Karimnagar district.
- Basara: Gnana Saraswati temple (Goddess of Knowledge) is located on the banks of Godavari river in Adilabad district.
Sammakka Saralamma Jatara or Medaram Jatara is a tribal festival honouring the local goddesses in Telangana. The Jatra begins at Medaram in Warangal district.
- Dharmapuri: The place in Karimnagar district assumed religious importance owing to the existence of the shrine dedicated to Lord Narasimha Swamy.
- Kondagattu: According to the folklore, the Lord Hanuman temple in Karimnagar was constructed by a cowherd some 300 years ago.
- Hemachala Lakshmi Narsimha Swamy temple is known for its architectural ensemble which is located on the Mallur Ghat of Warangal district.
- Birla Mandir: Built on a 280 feet-high hillock called Naubath Pahad on a 13-acre plot in Hyderabad.
- Chilkur Balaji temple, popular as Visa Balaji temple, is located on the banks of Osman Sagar Lake near Hyderabad. It is 17 km from Mehedipatnam and one of the oldest temples in Hyderabad built during the time of Madanna and Akkanna, the uncles of Bhakta Ramadas.
- Ramappa temple: A Lord Shiva abode in the temple town of Palampet, near Warangal.
- Thousand Pillars temple: A Shiva temple of ancient heritage at Hanmakonda in Warangal.
- Bhadrakali temple is known to be one of the oldest temples for Goddess Bhadrakali, located in Warangal.
Komrelly Mallanna temple: Lord Shiva is known as Komuravelli Mallikarjuna Swamy here at Komuravelly village at Cheriyal Mandal in Warangal district.
- Nachagiri: Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple located in Nacharam, Wargal Mandal, 59 km from Secunderabad, in Medak district.
- Wargal: Sri Vidya Saraswati temple located in Wargal, 47 km from Secunderabad in Medak district.
- Keesaragutta: Sri Ramalingeshwara temple located in Keesara, 10 km from ECIL, Ranga Reddy district.
- Ratnalayam: Sri Venkateswara temple located in Aliabad X Road (Rajiv Rahadari), 25 km from Secunderabad, Shamirpet Mandal, Ranga Reddy District.
- Sanghi temple: Lord Venkateswara temple located in Sanghi Nagar, near Ramoji Film City, Ranga Reddy district.
- Tandur: Sri Bhavigi Bhadreswara (Lord Veerabhadra) temple in Tandur Rangareddy district of Telangana.
- Garlaoddu: Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy temple and S.S.M. Ashramam are located in Khammam district.
- Jharasangam: Sri Ketaki Sangameshwara Swamy temple Located in Jharasangam Village of Zaheerabad mandal, Medak district.
- Kakarla: Venu Gopalaswamy and Hanuman temples in KaKarla, Julurupad Manadal, Khammam district.
- Beeramguda: Bramarambika Mallikarjuna Swamy temple located in Beeramguda, Patancheru, Hyderabad.
- Bhugha temple: Bhugha Rajeshwara Swamy is the presiding deity of this temple located in between three mountains in Bellampalli Mandal in Adilabad district.
- Bonthapally: Bhadrakali Sametha Veerabhadra Swamy temple is quite popular here in this village. Bonthapally is 35 km from Hyderabad on Hyderabad-Medak highway and the temple is 3 km away from the highway.
- Konda Pochamma temple: Konda Kochamma temple is located in Komaravelli village of Cheryal mandal, Warangal district.
- Matsya Narasimha Swamy temple: It is a famous temple with an amazing pond of fishes located in Vemulakonda village, Valigonda mandal in Nalgonda district.
Temples In Telangana District Wise
||Yadagirigutta (Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy)
||Bhadrachalam temple (Lord Seetha Ramachandra Swamy)
||Vemulawada (Sri Raja Rajeshwara Swamy)
Dharmapuri (Lord Narasimha Swamy)
Kondagattu (Lord Hanuman temple)
||Hemachala Lakshmi Narsimha Swamy temple
||Bhadrachalam temple (Lord Seetha Ramachandra Swamy)
Konda Pochamma temple
||Chilkur Balaji temple
||Sanghi temple (Lord Venkateswara)
Ratnalayam (Sri Venkateswara)
Keesaragutta (Sri Ramalingeshwar)
||Tandur (Sri Bhavigi Bhadreswara)
||Jharasangam (Sri Ketaki Sangameshwara Swamy)
Wargal (Sri Vidya Saraswati)
Nachagiri (Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy)
||Kakarla (Venu Gopalaswamy and Hanuman temples)
Garlaoddu(Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy)
(Mallikarjuna Swamy temple)
(Bhugha Rajeshwara Swamy)
(Bhadrakali Sametha Veerabhadra Swamy temple)
||Matsya Narasimha Swamy temple