According to Hindu mythology, there are two primary Gods Brahma - the creator, Mahavisnu - the protector and the chief God for all - the God Shiva holds the responsibility of maintaining the life cycle of the entire world. It is believed by the Hindus that God Shiva is the only God who is the head of all the Gods as portrayed in the Hindu mythology, who is everlastingly in deep meditation, totally absorbed in contemplation in His dwelling "Kailaash Mountain" in the Himaalayan range.
Lord Shiva's image
God Shiva's image is a complete one, in order to make the man to understand "What is this life all about?" and live the life leaving all the unwanted aspects such as anger, irritation, annoyance, frustration, dissatisfaction.
Shiva is worshipped as a lingam in order to make every one to recognize Him as the most basic and essentially formless one.
Shiva is commonly portrayed as an ascetic with a serpent around His neck, Vibhooti (sacred ash) adorning His face and His essentially bare body, a Trishul (trident) in one of His hands and a Kamandal (container of water for use in religious practices) in an other hand, and a Damaruga (small drum) in yet another hand.
Method to perform Shiva Puja
- Before starting up the Shiva Puja, clean the area where the prayers are going to be carried out.
- Every one who participates in the performance of the Puja should bathe and wear clean and comfortable clothes.
- Place a table against a wall, cover it with a clean cloth 9preferably white cloth) place a picture of God Shiva.
- Prepare a worship tray, preferably stainless steel, silver or any other metal and place on it small metallic containers of kumkum, turmeric (or sandal), one packet of camphor, sandal paste, a dozen agarbatti sticks (incense sticks), and a match box.
- Vibhhoti, Akshata (uncooked yellow rice) in a cup, Fresh flowers, fruits, coconut, leaves, fruit juice should also be kept. Lamps with wicks soaking in oil or ghee, Aarati plate with oil soaked wicks, Naivedyam (Prasaad) are also kept ready for the puja to be carried out.
Performing the appropriate Shiva's prayers, spending some valuable time in the routine of the life is always too good to keep the right synchronization of life. Please follow the link for the Shiv (lingam) Prayers:Durga Puja | Ganesh Puja | Guru Puja | Kali Puja | Lakshmi Puja | Saraswati Puja | Satyanarayana Puja | Shiva Puja | Shivaratri Puja | Visakha Puja | Wedding Puja