Veg Pasta in Arabiatta sauce & White sauce
For White Sauce:
1. Maida 1/2 cup
2. 1 tsp Mixed Herbs i.e. mixture of Thyme,Basil,Oregano,etc. (Ready to use bottle available )
3. Salt to taste
4. 2 tsp White pepper powder
5. 4 cubes grated cheese (Parmesan / Mozzarella cheese will be good for Italian food but if you don’t get them don’t forget that our very own Indian Amul & Britannia cheeses rock)
6. 2 tbsp butter
7. 1 - 1 & 1/2 cup milk (Cold or Room temperature)
For Red(Arabiatta) Sauce:
- 300 gms ripe red tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Chilly flakes (Ready to use bottle available )
- � tsp. Tabasco Sauce
- 1 tsp Mixed Herbs i.e. mixture of Thyme,Basil,Oregano,etc.(Ready to use bottle available )
- Tomato Ketchup to taste (optional)
Veggies & Toppings:
- Bell Peppers (Red Yellow Green) ( Cut into square shaped small pieces)
- Spring Onions (Finely Chopped)
- Carrots ( Cut into square shaped small pieces)
- Jalapenos (Cut into halves)
- Black /Green Olives (Cut into halves )
- Pineapple (Cut into small pieces – to be added as topping)
- Red Kidney Beans (Tinned / pressure cooked with little salt)
- Sweet Corn /Baby Corn (Boiled / pressure cooked)
- Button Mushrooms ( Cut into square shaped small pieces)
300 gms Mixed Pasta (All different shapes – Farfalle, Penne, Macaroni, Shell, Fusilli)
- Olive oil for cooking and saut�ing purposes.
- Grated Cheese (Parmesan / Mozzarella cheese will be good but if you don’t get them don’t forget that our very own Indian Amul & Britannia cheeses rock).
- 3 inches ginger, 7-10 garlic pods, 7-10 green chillies (Crush all the 3 in a mixie)
- Chilly Flakes and Mixed herbs as toppings
- 3 Tomatoes (Sliced - For topping )
- Take adequate water in a big vessel and bring the water to a boil
- Add the pasta and add salt to taste.
- Add a little olive oil when its boiling to prevent the pasta from sticking to each other.
- When the pasta becomes soft, strain the water and keep the boiled pasta aside.
For White Sauce:
- Heat the butter (Low flame) in a pan till it melts.
- Add the maida and keep stirring taking care that lumps are not formed and that maida doesn’t turn brown.
- When butter starts separating from the maida (which means its cooked properly) add white pepper powder.
- Stir for a while and switch off the gas.
- When it cools a bit, add milk, salt and the herbs.
- If lumps are formed blend it evenly using a blender.
- You can add extra milk to maintain the consistency.
- Now reheat on the gas stirring continuously and add the grated cheese.
- Now white sauce is ready.
For Red Sauce:
- Take a little water in a vessel and cut tomatoes into big pieces and boil them in the water.
- Add salt and sugar, chilly flakes and mixed herbs & Tabasco sauce while boiling.
- Add 2 tsp ginger-garlic-green chilly paste prepared earlier.
- Stir occasionally. (Use very little water as the tomatoes will start leaving water after salt and sugar are added to it.)
- Once the tomatoes become soft, cool them and grind them in a mixer.
- Now strain the puree so that the seeds and the puree gets separated.
- Bring this puree to boil and add more salt/sugar / any other spices if required.
- Now Red sauce is ready.
For the Veggies:
- Take a little olive oil in a nonstick vessel.
- Heat till fumes come.
- Add the remaining ginger-garlic-green chilly paste.
- Add chopped carrots, bell peppers, sweet corn, baby corn, jalapenos & olives, mushrooms & red kidney beans. Once they are saut�ed (on high flame) add spring onions.
- Add salt to taste and some white pepper powder.
- Stir occasionally.
- The veggies are ready now.
Final preparations till you can jump in the pasta
- Brush a little butter on the interiors of a microwaveable vessel in which you can arrange and heat the pasta.
- First layer – A portion of veggies & Pasta mixed.
- Second Layer – Pour some red sauce over it.
- Third layer – Pour some white sauce over it
- Fourth Layer – Put some pineapple pieces & tomato slices over it, sprinkle the grated cheese and sprinkle some herbs / chilly flakes, add little tomato ketchup.
- Preheat the oven on convection at 200 degree Celsius
- Then heat the pasta once its pre heated for around 5-10 mins or till the cheese starts melting.
- The pasta is ready to be attacked on.
If you don’t have an oven at home your final preparations would be to mix some pasta , veggies , red sauce, white sauce ,some ketchup, herbs , chilly flakes in a vessel, heat it and serve in a plate .
Sprinkle some grated cheese over it and top it with pineapple pieces and some tomato slices.
There will be no difference in the taste even if you heat the pastas on gas.
2) One can add any more vegetables to suit one’s preferences.
Also herbs, chilly flakes, garlic, ginger can be varied in proportion to ones liking.
3) Veg Lasagne is normally with lot of sauces.
One can make it like dry pasta with minimal sauce.
By - Mansi Choksey