Starter for party: Chaat - Dahi Batata Puri
Dahibatatapuri is a famous appetizer among people who are crazy to eat it in any party. It is a good mixture of small, crisp puris amidst a melange of potatoes, ragda, and a garnishing of various chutneys and beaten curds. This snack is mainly a dish of the state of Maharashtra, India.
Find below the recipe for making mouth-watering Dahibatatapuri:
- 1 cup boiled , peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1/2 cup teekhaphudina chutney
- 1 cup meetha chutney
- 3 cups chilled fresh curds (dahi) , beaten
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp roasted cumin seeds powder
- 2 tsp black salt (sanchal)
- 8 tbsp nylon sev
4 tsp finely chopped coriander leaves.
Ingredients for making chutneys:
1. For the spicy green (teekha) chutney:
For the sweet (meetha) chutney:
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 cup of mint leaves (pudina)
- 1 cup of coriander leaves (dhaniya)
- 3-4 green chilies or as required (harimirch)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 t/s sugar
- 1 t/s roasted cumin powder
- Black salt as required
- Preparing Green Chutney: Grind everything into a blender with water until smooth paste is formed. Keep it aside.
Preparing Sweet Chutney:
- 1 cup pitted dates (khajoor)
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp (imli)
- ½ t/s kashmiri chili powder
- ½ cup jaggery powder (i used organic)
- ½ t/s fennel powder (saunf)
- 1 t/s roasted cumin powder (jeera)
- ¼ th t/s garam masala powder
- ¼ th t/s black salt (kala namak)
- 2 cups water
- Salt as required
Procedure to make Dahibatatapuri:
- Boil tamarind or dates in water for 3-4 mins. Allow to cool and remove if any seed.
- Grind them with a cup of water until smooth.
- Take a pan and add the puree.
- Add ½ cup water and mix nicely.
- Also add jaggery powder, spice powder and salt.
- Mix and simmer for 4-5 mins, allow to thicken.
- Switch off the gas and allow to cool.
- Crack a small hole in the centre of each puri and arrange 6 puris on a plate.
- Stuff each puri with ½ tbsp of potatoes and top with 1 tsp teekhaphudina chutney, ½ tbsp of meetha chutney and 2 tbsp of curds.
- Sprinkle ½ tsp of chilli powder, ½ tsp of cumin seeds powder, ½ tsp of black salt and 2 tbsp of sev evenly over the puris and serve immediately garnished with 1 tsp of coriander.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more plates.
- Dahibatatapuri is the best option of starter in summer parties.
By- Ragini Sinha