Lawyers defy SC directive, intensify stir in Odisha

Updated on : Sep 28,2018   10:52 pm

Cuttack, Sep 28 (IANS) The members of the Orissa High Court Bar Association on Friday decided to continue their cease-work protest over alleged police excesses till next Wednesday, even though the Supreme Court asked them to resume work.

Orissa High Court Bar Association Secretary Satyabrat Mohanty said a decision regarding the ongoing strike will be taken on October 3.

"The order to withdraw the strike was issued without hearing our views. We have respect for the Supreme Court order and we will discuss the matter with all members at the next governing body meeting," Mohanty told reporters.

Earlier in the day, the agitating lawyers, intensifying their strike locked up the main gate of the Orissa High Court. They also barred the judges from entering its premises.

The lawyers also burnt the effigy of Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra for his directive to the lawyers to resume work.

The lawyers are on cease-work strike since August 30 demanding action against the police personnel involved in the attack on an advocate in Cuttack on August 28.

Two constables have been suspended in connection with the attack on the lawyer.

The Supreme Court on Thursday asked the lawyers to end the strike and join their duty in order to help people get access to justice.

The apex court also directed the Odisha Director General of Police to transfer the investigation to Crime Branch Inspector General of Police.

--IANS

cd/pgh/bg