Healing Effects Of Tomato
Long ago tomato was considered poisonous as it was regarded as acid forming and therefore patients suffering from gout, rheumatism, arthritis and acidosis were not recommended to consume it. It was also blamed to be carcinogenic. However studies have now proved that tomatoes are highly nutritious and health promoting.
Its therapeutic values are:
- Lycopene appears to act as an anti oxidant, neutralizing free radicals that can damage cells in the body. One recently, srudies have revealed that lycopene may have twice the punch of another well- known anti oxidant betacarotene.
- Raw tomatoes lower the risk of developing prostrate and rectal colon or stomach cancers. Lycopene has also been found to be a powerful inhibitor of lung, breast, and endometrial cancer cells.
- Research has also indicated that the lycopene in tomato can help older people stay active longer.
- It is a rich source of vitamin A hence it prevents night blindness and other diseases of the eye.
- Two powerful compounds found on tomato- coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid is thought to block the effects the nitrosamines. These are compounds that are not only formed naturally in the body but also are the strongest carcinogen in tobacco smoke. By blocking the effects of these nitrosamines the chances of lung cancer are reduced significantly.
- Tomato is an alkaline vegetable. Its acid taste is due to malic acid and citric acid.
- It has a low glycemic index. Hence it is a very good food for diabetic patients.
- Whenever blood is found to be stagnant in any part of the body, a tomato poultice is wonderful as a treatment in removing that stagnation. It acts as a dissolving agent.