Healing Effects Of Beetroot
The common red beet is a highly nutritious plant; the root is an excellent appetite stimulant and is easily digested. Beets have several varieties, which are grouped according to their shapes. They are flat; short-top shaped, deep oblate to round, globular to oval, half long to long. This vegetable is a good tonic food for heath.
Its therapeutic values are:
- They have properties to clean the kidneys and the gall bladder.
- Being rich in alkaline elements they are useful in combating acidosis and aid the natural process of elimination.
- Due to its higher content of iron, it regenerates and reactivates the red blood cells, supplies fresh oxygen to the body. It is thus extremely useful in the treatment of anemia.
- Beet juice is beneficial in the treatment of jaundice, hepatitis, and nausea and vomiting due to biliousness, diarrhea and dysentery.
- Leaves of beet root, eaten as green- leafy vegetable and its juice, mixed with lime juice, are also valuable in jaundice and gastric ulcer. The juice should be taken once daily.
- The cellulose content of the beet acts as a bulk residue, increases peristalsis. Its regular use thus prevents habitual constipation.
- Its high sodium and potassium contents provide a good solvent for unnecessary calcium deposits within the system e.g. in arthritis.
- One therapy for leukemia and tumors is to consume a couple of pounds of raw, mashed beets daily.