Mutton Biryani Recipe
- Mutton big pieces with bones - 1/2 kg
- Basamati rice (soaked in water for 1/2 hour) - 1/2 kg
- Onions cut into think slices - 150 grms
- Tez patta (bay leaves) - 4 to 5 leaves
- cloves - 5 to 6
- Shajeera - 1 spoon
- Cinnamom sticks (Dal Chini) - 3
- Kali mirchi (Sabuth) - 4 to 5
- Elachi (Big) - 2
- Pudina (Mint Leaves) chopped - 1 bunch
- Cashew nuts - 100 (optional)
- Milk - 2 tbspn
- Kesar color - 1/4 spoon
- Ghee - 1 1/2 cups
- Marination (for 1 to 2 hours)
- Wash mutton pieces and put in an earthen pot or heavy bottom vessel.
- Add to Mutton:
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tbs
- Shajeera powder - 1 spoon
- Cinnamom powder - 1 spoon
- Salt according to taste
- Red chilly powder - 1/2 small spoon
- Turmeric powder - 1 spoon
- Dhania powder - 2 tbs spoon
- Green chilly paste - 2 tbs spoon
- Jeera powder - 2 spoon
- Curds thick - 1 1/2 cups
- Fresh coriender chopped finely - 1 bunch
- Fresh pudina - 1 bunch
Mix well so that all mutton pieces are well coated and let it marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
Heat little ghee in a kadai and fry the sliced onions till they are dark brown and crisp. and keep aside. Fry the cashew nuts in ghee for few seconds till they become light brown, do not burn them. Heat ghee in a heavy bottom vessel and add tez patta, lavang, elachi (cardamom big ones), sabuth kali mirchi, cinnamom sticks and saute for few seconds add the marinated mutton pieces and cook in slow flame stiring for every few minutes. Meantime cook the soaked rice with salt (1/2 spoon) till half boil, drain the water and spread it on a plate and sprinkle ghee over the rice.When the mutton is almost (see that it is not over cooked but just cooked)done, take out the cooked mutton in a plate.
Put some mutton mixture in the same bowl in which mutton was cooked, add on top of the mutton some half boiled rice evenly and sprinkle one spoon ghee and chopped pudina leaves and fried cashew nuts and sprinkle kesar mixed in milk from top.Continue the process for all the layers till the Rice and Mutton is over. Add the fried crisp brown onions on top.
Immediately after the above prcedure, cook biryani on low flame that is on dum with tightly closed lid for 10 to 15 minutes .Serve hot with curd raitha, fresh green salad and boiled eggs (cut into halves).
Recipe by: Vinodini Reddy & Chandrakanth Reddy Terupally