Healing Effects Of Onions
Onions are pungent, edible bulbs of the lily family. There are many verities. Most onion bulbs are white, yellow, or red.
Its therapeutic values are:
- In North America, Native Americans used onion to treat insect stings and relieve colds. It has been recommended to treat colds, cough, bronchitis, whooping cough, asthma, and other respiratory problems. It is believed to help loosen congestion in the lungs and expand the airways. Humans with asthma have also shown reduced allergy induced constriction of the airways when given an extract of onion. These findings support the traditional folk administration of onion to treat asthma and respiratory complaints.
- Onion is also used intently to relieve excess gas and calm an upset stomach.
- Onion is also thought to stimulate the appetite.
- Onion is believed to have a positive effect on the circulatory system. It has been used as a diuretic to reduce swelling.
- It is also thought to help reduce arteriosclerosis by lowering blood cholesterol levels and preventing the formation of blood clots. Onions lower blood pressure as well.
- Onions have been used to treat diabetes and are reputed to lower blood sugar level.
- Externally, fresh onion juice is used to prevent bacterial and fungal infections. It can be applied to wounds and stings on the skin, used to remove warts, used to stimulate hair growth, and even used to reduce unwanted skin blemishes.
- Onion contain thiosulphate, a compound that is effective in killing many common bacteria including Salmonella typhi, Pseudomonas aeriginosa, and Escherichia coli. This supports the folk use of onion to treat wounds and skin infections and possibly its use for an upset stomach.
- If a person chews raw onion than all the germs in the mouth are killed.
- Onion increases libido and strengthens the reproductory organs. It is one of the most important aphrodisiac foods.
: include(../article-links.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/thisismy/public_html/health/food/com-food.php
on line 1
: include(): Failed opening '../article-links.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/thisismy/public_html/health/food/com-food.php
on line 1